Saturday, June 9, 2012

Scrabble Pangrams

Last week I asked for readers to send in their best Scrabble-themed pangrams (sentences using all 26 letters of the alphabet).  Evidently there are not many pangram enthusiasts among this crowd, because I did not receive many entries.  That said, what follows still represents the best (and possibly only) collection of Scrabble-themed pangrams you will find!

Audrey Tumbarello wins the prize for composing the shortest one, though some might find it a bit contrived:
Vext? Play: qursh, zonk, cwm, jib, fudge.  (28 letters)
Jeff Kastner sent two short ones, a variation on the same theme:
Vext jock bumping flashy word quiz.  (29)
Jock vext by dumping flash word quiz.  (30)
I prefer the second one, which wins the prize for a very short (30 or fewer letters) pangram that reads (more-or-less) like a natural sentence.  Jeff also sent in a longer, contrived example, explaining “it's a shortcut, true... but at least these actually were bingos I've played before”:
My bingos: AQUAVIT, FOXHOLE, MUZJIKS, and SCREWUP.  (39)
My own compositions, which I first unveiled in the original PANGRAM entry, were the only ones that aimed for slightly longer but more conversational pangrams:
Joyful word maven picks tough quiz box.  (32)
Joky wiz vanquished expert scrabble game foe.  (38)
I prefer the second one and hope that it may inspire others to take up the whimsical art of the Scrabble pangram.  If you should be moved to compose some now, or if you discover others, please pass them on to me.  Or, in pangram form:
Jovial hack besought zany mix of word quips.  (36)

No comments:

Post a Comment